Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trip to California

We just got back from the most wonderful little vacation to California. It was all that I hoped it would be and much more. We went for the Family Reunion that had been in the works for the last couple of years and was primarily planned by James' Cousin, Mary. Ben and I hadn't met Mary, her Husband Al and their four Children, Sarah, Jake, Jasen and David, but now that I know them I look forward to getting to spend more time with them.
We started with a detour to LA to meet James' Aunt and Uncle in LA that Ben and I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting and James hasn't seen for about a decade, their enthusiasm to meet us made us feel incredibly loved, I was honored to have received so much warmth and couldn't have been happier that we drove to meet them, talk about feeling like a guest of honor. We also got to see where Mom and Dad live in Korea town since the only home I had ever seen was the beautiful one in Temecula that they sold, wanting to be closer to the Culture and Customs of other Koreans. It was a charming apartment in one of the buildings that they own and it was very evident they are thrilled with the decision they made to be back there, I can understand wanting the familiarity that they feel living there.
We spent two solid days on the beach on Coronado Island, playing in the soft sand, running through the water, eating, playing games and just enjoying the company of the family, it was exactly what the Dr. ordered. Took little trips to the charming and quaint Sea Port Village to do a little shopping, have a bite and riding the Carousel, I could definitely spend more time there perusing the shops and enjoying the gardens. We took Ben to Birch Aquarium which was a lot of fun, got to sea the colorful fish of the Pacific and explore some tide pools and he even touched a Sea Cucumber, eeeew. One of the highlights of the trip was visiting Hotel Del Coronado, having seen pictures and read about it I knew it was a magnificent, historic hotel but until you walk through the lobby and see the shops, have a drink overlooking the beach you really don't know just how glamorous and impressive it is.
I always feel blessed to have met and married James and now I have a new, greater appreciation for the family that I married in to. I was told on the last morning of our trip, when Mary sat me down to have a "talk" that brought tears to my eyes, that I not only married James but I married the whole family and that they are thrilled to have me be part of them and should I ever need anything to not hesitate to ask, to know that family is always there for one another and that although there are Korean Customs I am still learning, that there may be things that make me uncomfortable, that I am experiencing a whole new world, I am loved...and boy do I feel it.

No comments: